K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

U.S. citizens that plan to marry a foreign citizen living abroad may be able to bring their fiancé(e) to the United States to marry. The K-1 visa allows a U.S. citizen’s fiancé(e) to enter the country for 90 days to marry. After marriage, the U.S. citizen’s spouse may apply for permanent residence (a greencard) and may remain in the United States while the application is being processed. If the U.S. citizen’s fiancé(e) has a child under the age of 21, they may be eligible for a K-2 visa.

In order to petition for a K-1 visa, the following eligibility criteria must be met:

  • The petitioner muse be a U.S. citizen
  • The petitioner and his/her fiancé(e) must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States
  • The petitioner and his/her fiancé(e) must be able to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated
  • The petitioner and his/her fiancé(e) must have met, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. A waiver for this requirement may be issued under two circumstances: (1) The requirement to meet would violate strict/long-established customs of the petitioner’s and fiancé(e)’s foreign culture; (2) The petitioner is able to prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to them

Please contact us to learn more about K-1 visas and to schedule a personalized consultation