Student Visas

F-1 & M-1 Student Visas

The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individuals to enter the United States to pursue full-time studies at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. Individuals interested in pursuing an F-1 visa must be enrolled in a program or course of study that provides a degree, diploma, or certificate and the individual’s school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students. F-1 visas are issued by a United States Consulate abroad.

The M-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows foreign students wishing to pursue vocational or non-academic studies, other than language training, to enter into the U.S

Individuals interested in obtaining an F-1 or M-1 visa must meet the following criteria:

  • Individual must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Individual’s  school must be approved by USCIS
  • Individual must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • Individual must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • Individual must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • Individual must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

F-2 & M-2 Spouse & Child Visas

The F-2/M-2 visa allows the spouse and unmarried, minor children of F-1 holders to come to the United States. F-2/M-2 holders are considered the dependents of F-1/M-1 students; therefore, F-2/M-2 holders are entitled to remain in the United States for the duration of the F-1/M-1 student’s authorized duration of stay or as long as the F-1/M-1 student maintains valid status.  F-2/M-2 dependents will lose their status if the F-1/M-1 students loses valid status.


The Manne Law Firm can help individuals interested in filing for an F-1 or M-1 Student Visa. Please contact us to learn more and to schedule a consultation.